1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold On Antlers And Horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kdtaxi, Sep 9, 2020.

1. kdtaxi

kdtaxi KD Taxidermy & Koeshall's World Hunting Adventures

Guy called me and says he has mold growing on the antlers and horns of the mounts in his basement, but not on anything else down there. Humidity was about 55%. Wondering if anyone had this issue or what to clean them with. Suggested he beef up the dehumidifier.

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The mold probably started on the inside. The damp hide against the manikin with a hide paste probably containing starch followed by humidity, created the perfect enviroment to grow the mold. I especially see it with "wet tans" the most. It seems to me that you would have to undue the stitches at the "Y" to treat the area and allow it to dry out or at least to spray it down with a mold treatment. McKenzie carries Mount Medix products to stop it, but you need to get into the starting point of the mold. I use McKenzie Hide Paste with Mount Medix in it for my wet tans on small mammals but, I usually only dry tan capes - especially hogs and bears! I also live in CA where we have no humidity. It can be 114 degrees and you are dry and don't even sweat, just bake (lol)!
    https://www.mckenziesp.com/Mount-Medix-Products-C6060.aspx

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I had it on the antlers of a mount in my cabin, I just took a lysol wipe and cleaned em off and haven't had that issue since. It was only on the antlers, not on the hair or even fish mounts in the cabin.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

3 bears is right.... unsealed antlers are pourous and absorb moisture... then will form mold in the right conditions.... nothing to do with tans hides skins paste etc... in Mn we know about humidity

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Windex and some paper towels will remove it. Keeping it from re-appearing is the challenge.