1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do I Need To Remove Bone Marrow From Small Birds (robins, Warblers, Pigeons Etc)? How Do I Go About

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by buffalobill20, Sep 11, 2020.

1. buffalobill20

buffalobill20 New Member

Hey everyone. I have a quick question about small birds like woodcocks, pigeons, robins, warblers etc.

do I need to remove the bone marrow? Or is it too small to matter?

thank you for everyone’s help!

2. desertfox505

desertfox505 New Member

I would recommend removing it. Otherwise it could start to smell. But i think everyone does it different

buffalobill20 likes this.

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

If you are concerned just put a very small hole on either end of the bone and use air to blow it out. I use a Drexel with a tiny bit when I need to go that far.

buffalobill20 likes this.
  4. buffalobill20

buffalobill20 New Member

I think I will too! I am fairly new, do I remove only the humerus and ulna bone or am I also trying to reach the carpometacarpus and second digit?

also do i remove from the radius as well? It is quite small on say a robin or woodpecker

Attached Files:

5. buffalobill20

buffalobill20 New Member

Hey Jim, yeah I will try that. When removing marrow, am I only concerned with ulna or am I also doing carpometacarpus and second digits? Also do I remove marrow from the radius? It is quite small on say a robin

Attached Files:

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I don't remove the marrow from the ulna and radius unless they are broken. I remove it from the humerus and the femur and this is on larger birds. I wouldn't do it on those small birds

bucksnort10 likes this.
  7. buffalobill20

buffalobill20 New Member

that makes a lot of sense. I thought somehow the marrow would eventually leak out, but it only would happen if there are broken bones. So yeah I think I will just focus on the femur and humerus for now. Thanks for your advice.

Wildthings likes this.