1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Recommended Glue For Bird Mounting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Bruce M, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Bruce M

Bruce M Member

Hi. I am wondering about opinions on which glue to use for mounting birds. Would standard hide paste work? Thanks for info

Robert Baker and msestak like this.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Caulk and super glue gel

KLFL, Robert Baker and msestak like this.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I don't use, per say, any glue for mounting my birds. I do use latex caulk in certain areas to fill in and tame unruly areas

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use DAP acrylic caulk with silicone in clear as a hide paste.

I do not use this caulk or any caulk as a filler, as I have found other ways to fill that I like better, although there is caulk that works well as a filler I have been told.

Power Grab by Liquid Nails is used by a world champion who claims it is an incredible product use as a hide paste.

BrookeSFD16 and Robert Baker like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I coat the form, neck and head thoroughly with a thin layer of caulk no more than an 1/8". Also, I will cut slits in the skin and add caulk through there for 100% coverage. The skin won't move much after this, unless you physically manipulate it, allowing for feather tracts to stay in place and helps with unruly feathers.

I use no string or much carding except for a pin with a square piece of thin card board here and there to hold any stubborn areas.

My mounts instantly became a lot better after I started using caulk as a hide paste.

To answer your question on will regular hide paste work; I have no experience with that, however, I suspect that some hide pastes used on deer heads might work on birds.

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

None neede. Just use a bit of caulk in open wings and crop and to attach tail. Little inside head skin in certain places and throat .

George and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Don't get crazy with caulk in the wings. A little bit will go a long way as a filler. It takes a while for acrylic caulk to dry. If you overdo it, it will takes days to set.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  8. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I don't use any glue/adhesive on the bodies at all, as it prevents taxiing of the skin when sewn. I do stuff a little ball of poly pillow fill along the sides of the body, around the neck-body junction, and the wing attach points to slightly puff those areas up a bit. By not having glued those areas it allows me to manipulate the feathers/skin where I think it needs to be. Then pin while drying. I do use superglue gel for the beek though.

9. TIMES 2 ON Twinrivers