1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Id

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by linoman, Sep 16, 2020 at 6:52 AM.

1. linoman

linoman New Member

Owner is claiming it’s a leopard, looks more like a cougar to me but I am by no means an expert, hence coming to the forum for opinions. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from those pics but I would agree with you based on what I can see

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Need to see photos straight on from the side and straight down on it from above. Angle shots don't help. I would also guess a cougar. Also be aware of scams. If they can't send you better positioned pictures .. they don't have it to take pictures of.

linoman likes this.
  4. linoman

linoman New Member

Thanks for the responses, I’ve asked for additional photos

5. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Member

Also, beware of anyone trying to sell a skull who doesn't know how to articulate the cranium and mandible!

Rausch likes this.
  6. linoman

linoman New Member

Some additional photos from the bottom

Attached Files:

7. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Member

There is a key photo that they could have sent you: the TAG!!!!!!

That looks like the kind of tags that go on many North American animals. I've never seen one on an African specimen (though I'm sure someone has!). (Don't some NA jurisdictions remove that premolar for genetics or something like that?)

Also, by the proportions, it looks much more like a puma than a leopard. Leopards are relatively longer (this one has a bit of a short face; squarer palate). Also, I think there is a difference in the canines (though I don't have the measurements right now to prove it) where leopard canines seem longer and thinner and those seem more robust.

From those terrible pictures, I'd bet its a puma.

Robert Baker and linoman like this.
  8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Have to agree. It's a cougar.The skull is the wrong shape. Not long enough for a leopard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robert Baker likes this.
  9. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

mountain lion, cougar not lepord

Robert Baker likes this.
  10. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Active Member

I was thinking same thing. What does the tag say? Does look like NA tag and most I've seen say what it is on the tag.

Robert

11. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

The tag is most likely a taxidermist ID tag when it was sent to be cleaned. No state that I know of seals/tags a cougar skull. The cities tag is attached to the hide. Combined with the missing premolar it suggests that it is a cougar skull.

Robert Baker likes this.