1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Connecting Feet To Legs

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kate Lacour, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

I’m a complete newbie and am practicing on thawed feeder rats. I know a squirrel would be a better starting point but rats are a lot easier to get!

I’m working on wrapping forms and carving from foam, since no one sells rat forms that I’m aware of. I’m also keen to eventually work on non-standard critters like nutria, armadillos, dogs, and cats, so I figure it’s a good idea to get used to making forms from the get-go.

I’m skinning down to the toes, then filling the feet with clay by pushing in a little rolled log and squeezing it down to the end of the foot, much like a toothpaste tube. I’m then pulling the filled feet onto the form I’ve made, which has stumpy, footless legs.

My end result looks kind of shapeless, though! The feet look noodle-ish and the haunches look bulky, neither is well articulated or integrated with the rest of the leg. I’m experimenting now with building the legs on the form longer, adding floral wire so there’s more to shape and pose, and just gaining practice.

But I’m also wondering if there’s an additional part of the process I’m unaware of and skipping? Thanks for any tips!