1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Beaver Rug

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kn18, Sep 17, 2020.

1. kn18

kn18 New Member

Hello All- I've tanned a beaver for a rug and I'm ready to attach a felt bottom to it. I have never done a rug with a felt bottom before so I'm curious which route to take. I am comfortable with sewing the felt to the perimeter of the beaver but I'm curious about the looseness in between, across the underside of the hide. It turned out thin and soft so I don't want the felt loose and hanging on the underside when handled. Is it OK to use a leather/suede glue on the felt to adhere it to the hide? Or will this not even be an issue? Or perhaps just a few random stitches throughout to keep the felt in check. I'd hate to ruin a beautiful tan by putting glue on it. I would love any ideas or to know how you all do it. I've grown to love this forum and really appreciate all the tips from those of you well experienced, it's been a great resource on many topics!

PS: the tail is still intact per the request of whom I'm doing this for, do I just talk them into going with no felt at all?? : )

Thank You,

Kelly

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’s really a personal choice but I would throw a small stitch here and there. JMO

3. kn18

kn18 New Member

Ok thanks for the response!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

How I did it on my beaver skin with the head, feet and tail, which I split the tail so that the top half was there and flat and discarded the bottom half, was to machine sew a border of felt around the skin and hot glued it to the feet and tail. Then I glued Dacron batting to the skin with spray contact adhesive. I then covered the batting with a medium weight lining and hand sewed that to the felt border. I then used stitching here and there like you would with a quilt.

You can just use felt in one piece, use the contact spay over the majority of the skin to keep it flat to the felt, sew it up with the machine and use the quilt stitches to hold it to the body of the skin. I have done this on badgers and raccoons.

Research Mannikins has a DVD that outlines all the steps and shows you how to do it. If you are going to do just one rug, this DVD will help you get it right the first time.

5. kn18

kn18 New Member

Great info, thank you!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.