1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer Burned Bobcat

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitelightnin, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Active Member

Hey guys Ive decided to pull one of my bobcats out of the freezer that has been in there for about 5 years. I caught mortal hell skinning the head. I soaked the head and cape in salt water overnight but couldn’t tell it did much. Finally this morning after quite a few injections and careful cutting I finally had success. Im planning on doing a shoulder pedestal mount. My question is now the head part of the cape is obviously pretty stiff from freezer burn. Can I salt the cape immediately as normal or do I need to soak in a salt water solution or possibly relaxer? Ive read about stop-rot but I do not have any on hand. Just want to know what the odds are on the cape being salvageable and what I can do to increase those odds. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Stop rot can help or a relaxer, such as is used for African sun dried hides. Just soaking will not likely soften it up IMO.

Whitelightnin and Robert Baker like this.

3. Whitelightnin

I have the cape on the salt rack now. Can I use the relaxer in the pickle when the time comes?

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I am no expert with regard to the interaction of some of these chemicals as I am not sure if it would be ok or not to mix with the pickle. IF it were me, I would rehydrate the hide in a relaxer (Kemal-4 is a great product) then rinse the hide before putting it into the pickle.

Whitelightnin and Robert Baker like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Relaxer will not work in a pickle. A pickle does not hydrate skins . You need to use regular water with any relaxers to work

Robert Baker and Whitelightnin like this.
  6. Whitelightnin

How long would you figure on the soak in the water/relaxer being? Few hours? Days? I guess it would determine on the severity of the freezer burn.

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

When I’m dealing with any kind of freezer burnt skins I’ll work like this. I’ll let the skin soak and work the areas by injection of the solution under the skin and pry slowly open
    It should only maybe take a few hours. skins should not be left in a hydration bath for no longer than 16-18 hrs
    Otherwise a salt bath could be made ( one to one mixture of salt and water 1 gallon to 1 lb salt) This will allow you a 48 hr soak but the salt slows the hydration process down.

Robert Baker and Whitelightnin like this.
  8. Whitelightnin

I injected the bad areas and soaked the cape overnight in relaxer. It turned out nicely. Thanks for the help guys!

Robert Baker likes this.