1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pricing Habitat

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Kottejr, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Kottejr

Kottejr Member

I was wondering about how you all price prefinished habitat. say someone wants to add a prefinished rock or limb to an existing mount. I know price of material and shipping and time to add it to the mount. But do you add 10%, 20% or more to the cost of the prefinished habitat?

thanks for the assistance.
    Robert

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Do you mean pre-finished like if you bought the habitat and just needed to secure the mount to it? If that’s the case then cost of materials, cost of shipping and one hour of labor. Your labor rate is specific to you. I personally try to stay away from most of that pre finished crap. The quality is so so and custom is always way way cooler.

pir^2h likes this.

3. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Oh and one more thing, some taxidermists add two times the cost of the habitat plus shipping. So for example, the habitat cost $50.00. They charge $100 plus shipping,plus labor. There is no industry standard that I am aware of. I personally don’t do that because I feel like it’s price gouging, but that’s just me. You do what works best for you

4. Kottejr

Kottejr Member

Thank you Westcoast. I prefer the custom stuff as well but this was what the customer was wanting. adding double the cost seems a bit steep but, like you said what works best for the taxidermist.

I appreciate the response.

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I don't know about double the price being too steep. Clothing is marked up anywhere from 250% to whatever they want to try to get (How do you think they can sell clothing for half price and still make a profit?!). Furniture, the normal mark up is around 700%. Hallmark cards is 1000%. These are figures I got from people in the business. You are entitled to make a profit on your supplies.

When I was in the electronics repair business some transistors cost me $.36, list price $3.90.

Robert Baker and Westcoast like this.
  6. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

I agree with you 1000%. You have to be profitable. But in a business where I personally need to look my customers in the eye and shake their hands. I have difficulty bending them over. I’m in business to make money, and the more the better. But, Karma is a huge bitch and blatantly price gouging is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Offer a price that is fair for all parties involved and you can’t go wrong.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Price gouging is charging an exorbitant rate for a needed item when there is no alternative. You set your prices. Your customer has a choice of doing business with you, or not. It takes a lot to run a successful business Don’t underprice yourself into the poorhouse

pir^2h, Robert Baker and Westcoast like this.