1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Fox For Coyote Form?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Challa, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Challa

Challa New Member

So this should be a simple question to answer. I had a customer bring me in a coyote pup eye to noise was 3.25 measurement and she smallest i can find in the catalogs is 3.75. There is a fox form that is almost spot on with the eye to noise and also the neck measurement. I i use the fox form would this be correct or is it anatomically way off https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps.

Only other option i can thin of is cutting out 1/2 inch out of the coyote for is to big. what would be the best option to go with???

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Robert Baker likes this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I would alter the right firm as there are differences between the both.
    Now saying this doesn’t mean you can’t but you need to fit leg length, belly, face etc. You may have way more alterations on the fix that may cause more issues but it can be done.

Mac McLane and Robert Baker like this.

3. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Active Member

I'm a beginner myself so take my comment with a grain of salt. I was struggling with the fact that finding the perfect form for any animal I am mounting just isn't that easy. None of the forms ever seem to match every measurement.

I have had the fortune to make a few good friends from taxi.net and one night I was talking about this with one of them. They pointed out matching the girth measurement as close as possible was by far the easiest way to go. Lengthening the form or shortening the nose etc. really is pretty easy -- its adding to girth that's a pain in the arse. With that piece of advice I now have what I looked at as a PIA of a chore in modifying a mannikin and found it to be quite fun. (thank you 13 point).

Also learned not to add 3" to a form in one spot or you end up with wiener dog form like I did (+3" to the belly) lmao!

So -- like Frank says, use a coyote form, find one with as close in girth that you can and alter the rest. (that's just what I would do).

Robert

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

I highly recommend Breakthrough Magazine issue 82, I believe it’s Jason Snowbergers method of form alteration. It will answer any questions you may have, and send you in the right direction to alter ANY size or species of form. Good luck!

Robert Baker likes this.
  5. Robert Baker

Thanks Kurt, I can use that issue as well. :)

Robert

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  6. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Robert, my name is Kurt

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Robert Baker

Isn't that what I said? ;) Sorry Kurt, confused you with another..

8. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

No problem, that issue of Breakthrough was a game changer for me, try and get your mits on one

Robert Baker likes this.
  9. Robert Baker

I just purchased a collection of Breakthrough from Jim Grill and was lucky enough to find that issue included. Just like you said Kurt -- fantastic article.

Robert