1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Euro With Velvet?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Habitat1, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Habitat1

Habitat1 New Member

My daughter shot a full velvet buck last night and that is very unusual for this time in Ks.Appeared to not be "right" and wasn't even trying to shed.I know how to preserve velvet but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on doing the euro part while saving the velvet?

2. Habitat1

Habitat1 New Member

A buddy of mine used Velvalok and was happy with it but I still have to clean the skull

3. The short answer is to cut the antlers off, clean the skull and reattach them. The key is cutting them so they are easy to realign when you put them back together. Lots of ways to accomplish that.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

From the backside, cut a "V" in the pedicle, coming from each side with a fine tooth hacksaw. Clean and whiten your skull, then glue them back in place with 5 minute epoxy glue.

ARUsher likes this.
  5. Racks n Plaques

Racks n Plaques New Member

You have any pics of the V cutting? Also you just glue them? Do you drill and pin them?

6. joeym

You can drill them and glue a #9 wire into a 5/16" hole. Glue into the skull first, let set 24 hours. Then, mark the antlers, drill a hole, test fit. At this point, the wire will bend for final adjustments. Then, slather the wire and sawed area with epoxy, and glue in place.

Racks n Plaques likes this.
  7. Racks n Plaques

Racks n Plaques New Member

The V cut will be from the front halfway then from the back side right to make the V. After gluing up what do yall do to hide the seam where the horns were cut off?

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Very little apoxeysculpt in white color

9. joeym

I usually airbrush with an off white. It’s not noticeable at all.

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Why not a full shoulder ?... A buck that has damage or infection to testicles when they drop for the rut can keep from shedding the velvet