1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flex Wings For Turkeys

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by duckslayer, Sep 21, 2020.

1. So I thought I would try the flex wing method for turkeys this year. I tried putting one together today and realized its just a floppy crap show going on with the wings. Not sure what the best way is to secure secondaries (or any other wing feathers) to the flex wing or keep any wing feathers in place. Possibly use caulking? I could use a little help on this one. Thanks in advance.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I don't know what flex wings are, and I have only done a few Turkey, but I didn't detach the secondaries on them. Just made underwing cuts, wired and bondoed.

But I can tell you that if you need a product that can hold feathers then Loctite power grab is it.

I'm sure Cole or Dan or Barry will chime in. They do way more turkey than me.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I tried them once because of broken bones. I just treated it like a wing with bones that I detached the secondaries and build up the muscle area with batting and string, which is to caulk the secondaries and card the wings the way you want it to look. You might need to do an underwire if the wings are going to be in any form of openess, such as positions of strut.

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use them cuz I don't detach my feathers from the wing bones. I make the cut under like Brooke mentioned above. BUT if I did it would be done the way TT describes and the caulk I would use in the wings would be Loctite Power Grab

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I actually decided to learn how to fix broken bones or in the case of missing bones, how to make my own with wire. Much cheaper than the flex wings and I don't have to wait to get them from a supply company.

I have done the detached secondary tubed method and I have used the under wing cut and left the secondaries attached. Each has it's pros and cons. Really, I like each way. Attached method for me, is harder to remove all meat and fat, so it is slower there, but faster for carding and such. Tubed with them detached is faster cleaning, but takes loner to get them right, more carding and a bit more caulk.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.