1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning A Pig Face For A Mask?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Dethface, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Dethface

Dethface New Member

Hey, I’m new here. I have two pigs that I’m about to slaughter and I’m wondering if it’s possible to make a mask or two out of the faces. If it’s possible, how should I go about it? I want them to be semi supple but also a little stiff. Bark tanning? Brain tanning? Tanning creams? Things that might help keep the form of the face? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Check with Halloween sites you’ll get better answers there. We do taxidermy here.

George, msestak and Robert Baker like this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Are you doing the slaughter yourself? If not, be aware that slaughter facilities cut the carcass in half straight through the head.

4. Dethface

Dethface New Member

I’m talking about preserving a pig’s face through the art of tanning. Which if I’m not mistaken, is a form of taxidermy. Just because I want to make a mask doesn’t mean that I want latex or silicone. And I’m pretty sure that a “Halloween site” won’t have the knowledge that I’m trying to acquire. No offence but I did relay that in my post, maybe you should have read it. So let me reiterate,I own two pigs I’m going to slaughter them for meat. I would like some tips on which is the best way to tan pig hide in a way that it keeps its shape and is also supple and a bit malleable. And with what to line the inside?

msestak, Robert Baker and tobynitch like this.
  5. Dethface

Dethface New Member

I
    Yes, I am slaughtering them myself.

msestak and Robert Baker like this.
  6. Sea Wolf

I would say too fatty for any sort of brain tan. You are also going to have to really shave this thin from the flesh side for any tans to really work. There is a lot of info on this site about bark tans https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/leather-hides-tanning-f5/index-s100.html I would not be able to advise if the commercial products for deer/moose/elk etc would even work on a hog skin due to the amount of grease in it.

There is this, but there is no mention of checking density of solutions or acidity/alkalinity (PH) https://goneoutdoors.com/tan-wild-boar-hides-8582208.html

Another site. Again no accuracy in testing density or PH. https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/how-to-tan-a-hide-zm0z01on

Another thread from the Paleo site has a lot of input. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/viewtopic.php?p=51791#p51791

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    msestak, Dethface and Robert Baker like this.
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yea I’d say for what your looking to do they should go to a tannery

msestak, Dethface and Robert Baker like this.
  8. Dethface

Dethface New Member

Thank
    Thank you so much for the the info! Yeah I’ve been reading that they are rather greasy too. But I will probably be trying a couple of methods out. Hopefully they turn out amazing! I will post pictures if they do. Thanks again for the info/websites sea wolf!

msestak likes this.
  9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I just wanted to say that personally I wouldn’t add to aid this cause because it’s about a new show on the telly where you have folks wearing pig faces in a church
    So think about it lol

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

When did tanning become an "art"? This sounds like one of those ideas that Bill Engvall mentions: " I wonder how cool a nail through my penis would look?" This sounds like something Ed Gein or maybe Norman Bates would think up.

11. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Deer capes are home tanned, including the face, along with a lot of wild boar so I would think a domestic pig should be possible. I would think that with a little trial and error a method could be found to also give it some shape. Interesting.

Dethface likes this.
  12. Sea Wolf

Pretty depraved if that is the reason. I guess we need the sick ones to show us how normal the rest of us are.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  13. Tracy Carroll

Tracy Carroll New Member

So tanning is an art now?

14. Dethface

Dethface New Member

No that is not the reason I want to make them. Actually I have never heard of these people that are wearing them. Let alone condone there actions. I thought it would just be a weird little fun project.

15. Dethface

Dethface New Member

I guess
    I guess technically any thing can be considered an art really. It depends on how good you are. 1625A184-73EF-4E6B-B5E9-E0A535C476A1.jpeg

Tracy Carroll likes this.
  16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

sorry but zmr. Zkennedy was likely using piss to tan hides in 1857. His method likely weren't "artful" enough to stand the test of time. Brush on tans are more advanced than what he came up with.

17. Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez New Member

Should have chosen the handle pigface or was it already taken?

I feel as though you've seen something you are trying to replicate and this is more than a random weird project. Do you have a photo of what that is? As others have stated, it is unlikely you're going to get the skin to do what you want it to do. I couldn't imagine having a tanned pig skin up against my face.. hot, sweating, rehydrating.. Yummy.

If it truly is just a gimmicky fun project, you may have better luck modifying a hog form to be used for your domestic pigs. Send the skins to a tannery, you'll end up with a better product and spend far less. Bore yourself a big ole hole in the form, maybe even bore out the eyes. Fiberglass the inside and use some helmet padding in there. Walla! Pigface!

18. Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez New Member

19. Tracy Carroll

Tracy Carroll New Member

you have brought an evidence.. great