1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Westcoast, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Can I strip an already painted reproduction largemouth? And repaint it?

2. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Yup

3. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Awesome!! I thought so. What would be the best way to strip it? Laquer thinner bath, shop towels and some elbow grease?

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lacquer thinner, paint remover , acetone but I will warn you this. Do a test spot as I’ve seen some reproductions fall apart using these chemicals

Westcoast and Mudbat like this.
  5. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Good to know, I’ll be a little less aggressive than I was planning. Thank you gentlemen

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

If the gloss isnt to thick just white it out. Ive had lacquer thinner eat into arp blanks

7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

My next project is to repaint an already pre-painted Archie Phillips replica. I don't think the gloss is really all that heavy. I'm working right now filing and sanding trying to give the head and mouth area a little better detail. I'm also changing out the eyes.
    Tell me if there is a better way but my plan is to do the epoxy work, primer over the existing paint job with my Kinser 1-2-3, seal it then with Lifetone sealer, and painting as usual with my lacquer paints.

8. Frank E. Kotula

Personally I never ever painted over a painted job even though it was done by another with very little gloss.
    Reason being there might be underlying issues that should be taken care of. I strip ( lol no not me ) fix, epoxy then start my paint. JMO here

3bears and Westcoast like this.
  9. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks Frank, I did strip the partially transparent fins and the gloss and paint removed quite easily. I might test on the back first but I may go ahead and strip, (the fish!), then paint.

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You can open up a big can of worms dealing with old fish mounts...I hate to see them come in. I don't strip for fear of getting into endless fin repair. I clean them with Windex, spray with Kilz, then repaint from there. Nobody wants to pay you what its worth. Generally, I'm trying to make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear"!

Westcoast likes this.
  11. Frank E. Kotula

In my shop I take in any old mount to get refurbished. The cost is the same if I was going to mount the fish. yes there is only so much we can do but replacement of head and all fins, seeing a spot pattern and hopefully a decent pic from the client. Yep not just a coverup but a complete makeover as they have on tv .

Lance.G and 3bears like this.
  12. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

This is mainly an experimental piece that I'm doing for my neighbor that's helping me plumb my new workshop. He would just like a more realistic paint job but I'm taking the opportunity to see just what I can do to improve this replica. Thanks for all the advice.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.