1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Northern Restoration - To Prime Or Not To Prime?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by g1rmklemp, Sep 24, 2020.

1. g1rmklemp

g1rmklemp New Member

I'm looking for some opinions. I haven't done a fish in 40 years I suspect. My father-in-law passed a few years ago and this Northern Mount was/has been stored for many years. I've started to restore it as best that I can and I'm getting close to starting to repaint. I'm wondering if you would recommend priming it to a white base or just recolor the mount as is? I've included a reference photo that IMO represents the original color of the fish. I did experiment with adding some gold powdered pigment across the top of the back but I'm having a hard time visualizing the best approach to use. Thanks! IMG_5615.jpg

Attached Files:

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I’d prime it. But I prime every single fish I do. Be it a skin or replica

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Your going to hear both so it’s up to you to decide what’s best for you. personally you have all the or most of the markings on the skin now so you have a pattern to go by. If you decide to prime there’s nothing there but white.

JL, Cecil and Clew like this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bingo Frank!

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Your photo of the mount looks a lot like a skin mount after it has dried so I would try to tint it without priming and if that is not to your satisfaction then you still have the option of whiting it out.

JL likes this.
  6. g1rmklemp

g1rmklemp New Member

Thanks to all! I decided to prime it. I figured if I don’t like it I’ll start over. So far I’m reasonably happy with the initial results. After the base of gold/silver pigment I added the markings. It’s starting to come together. I’d love some feedback from anyone on my progress.

Attached Files: