1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Recommended Tanneries?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Daedric.oak, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Daedric.oak

Daedric.oak Member

I'm looking to get some of my hides this year dried tanned. I'm looking to send hides like deer (backhides), bear, coyotes, and raccoons. I'm trying to keep most things prepped for taxidermy so I can resell in the future or mount without having to keep skins in my freezer. All I ask of the tannery is that I can send in frozen hides as opposed to salted/dried. What places do you guys recommend?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Depends where you live and call your local state association for tanneries that the members may use

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Keystone furs in PA does a decent job . Send in frozen and they will turn/flesh and dry or wet tan . You will pay xtra, shipping will cost a lot also . Because of xtra weight

Daedric.oak likes this.
  4. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I like tarhill cap and hide

Daedric.oak likes this.
  5. Tracker12

Tracker12 New Member

I have a bear I want to get done to throw over a chair. I have it skinned with skull and paws removed. Needs fleshed and lips turned. These were two places that I have in mind using. I don't really need another bear hide but I hate to throw it out since it is a nice hide.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are way ahead to flesh and salt dry before shipping anywhere. You will pay big time for someone else to do it. On properly fleshed and cured skins, nobody can beat Moyles prices on flatskins. Their turn-around time is usually 5 months. Moyle, Mink, & Tannery in Idaho.

Clew likes this.
  7. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I'm partial to H&H in Reed City, MI. They can flesh and turn a green cape or skin sent to them frozen. But, as Joey said you will pay extra for that plus the higher overnight shipping of frozen. They do wet or dry with about 3 mos turnaround.