1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help For A Friend.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tanglewood Taxidermy, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I got a strange request today from a fellow taxidermist. I have done cape prep for him in the past and trust his taxidermy savvy. He has been a full time award winning taxidermist since the 70's.
    Today he asked me to ask all of you for some help. He's not a computer person so he was hoping I would help him.

The problem; He sent a large shipment of various hides, capes and pelts to a tannery. He has been doing this since the 70's, so he understands that unfortunate things can happen. In those years he has lost capes due to hunters negligence, his negligence, and that of the tanneries. He realizes that it can and does happen from time to time.

He tried a tannery a few years ago and has had good luck with them. He is very diligent about his prep work for the tanneries. He sent them in mid December and they were received in good order. This tannery is in California and when the covid thing happened, they were forced to shut down for at least two months. He recently received them back from the tannery. His deer capes and flat skins came back great as well as fur bearers and other items.

To his dismay 13 bears and 8 elk capes came back with major hair loss. Enough hair loss that they are not mountable. He has never had this happen in 40 plus years. He doesn't think that it was anything he did and believes the tannery shutting down may have something to do with it. He has been in touch with them and they say it's not their fault.

He wants to know if any of you had a similar experience with this tannery because if there has been others with this same experience, then he knows it's more than likely their fault. As it is now, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Normally, I wouldn't name a tannery because I don't want to accuse someone of something that is conjecture at this time, however, this is not to smear a tannery, just to see if anyone else had this problem, so he can work it out with them. If no one has had this problem, then he will accept that it is what it is.

So, reluctantly, I will ask if anyone has had a similar experience with Wildlife Fur Dressing in California between December and now?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Robert Baker likes this.
  2. mikeblake

mikeblake Member

Ya,I got the email that the bear I sent just before they shut down was being "rejected because of slipping" .then a customers prize cow was also rejected.took me three weeks of arguing with them to get a picture of it and customer decided to continue with tanning.i also have a taxidermy friend that has had the same thing happen.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Thank you. This will help.

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Active Member

So easy these days for any company to simply claim it isnt their fault. Problem is, with any tanning company, how is someone to prove one way or the other? Unless you have others with the same issue. The likelyhood then shifts to the tannery.

Good idea posting this TT.

Robert

pir^2h and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Whether anyone else has had the problem or not may convince those who had a bad experience that it is the tannery's fault but it will be next to impossible to prove. And you know the tannery will never admit fault even if they know they are because that would make them liable for damages. I don't use any tannery but if I did I would be looking for a new one after that experience.