1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota V Or Pro?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Oflag, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Oflag

Oflag New Member

Looking to purchase a flesher for elk capes. Is a Dakota V adequate or would a Dakota Pro be worth the extra $700?

Thanks
    Oflag

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Pro all day long. No comparison.

Glenn M and Lance.G like this.

3. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I agree. Pro

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Buy the best you can. If your serious about this business I would suggest looking into
    Raw Hide
    Eager Beaver
    Arlington capes
    For a professional fleshing machine that will take more abuse than any Dakota on the market.
    Im not saying their that bad but I’ve used them and there’s no comparison to using a real machine over what we call a taxidermist toy.
    Less issues in all aspects of machinery parts longevity. The hardest thing on any machine is learning what it can and can’t do. In reality you don’t need all those dials to what they say for fine tuning lol . That’s what your steels do and proper set up.
    Also you blade should be soft steel and try a tanneries blade instead. It’s a totally different setup and do a way better job than the others.
    The soft steel is easy to sharpen and tune. JMO

Robert Baker likes this.
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Frank I don't think either Rawhide or Eager Beaver is in production.i though Arlington had stopped as well. The Dakota Pro incorporates all the bells and whistles of the great machines into one. (There's another good machine out ther but I can't recall who makes it. S&K??? Something likevthat.)

Pay the extra $700. If you tire of it, you'll be able to recoup a helluva lot more of your money with the Pro versus the V.

6. Oflag

Oflag New Member

Thanks all for the comments!

Robert Baker likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Eager is back again as I spoke with a fellow who just bought one a little while ago.
    Yes raw hide are hard to find but in great demand as soon as you see one for sake it’s sold!
    Didn’t know about Arlington ( thanks) !!

Robert Baker likes this.
  8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not sure about Arlington. I saw Keith comment some time back tha producing the machines was low profit endeavor and he was thinking about stopping.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I’ve had the V and now have the pro. Absolutely no comparison. Go Pro or go home.

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've considered upgrading to a Pro...but I've used the V for 30 plus years. At this phase in the game, I just don't want to make the investment. I had an Eager Beaver once...bought it used from someone here. I never set it up. A guys shop burned, and I gave it to him when he was rebuilding.

livbucks likes this.
  11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have a V and it was hard to master.