1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mysterious Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Josephplains, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Josephplains

Josephplains New Member

Im just an outdoor adverturer. Not a taxidermist but I am having a hard time identifying this skull I found on vacation. maybe someone can help. Looks like a dragon to me

Attached Files:

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

We see those on here a few times annually. Sea Wolf can tell you exactly what it is.

3. Josephplains

Josephplains New Member

Cant you remember? Im dying to know

Attached Files:

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s a skull looks like some kind of bird chest / breast to me

5. Not a skull. From the picture in your post #3, it is clearly a large bird backbone and chest cavity. Likely a turkey. Have seen several posted on here that people thought were skulls.

6. joeym

OK, I wanted Sea Wolf to chime in! It's the sacrum from a large bird...probably a turkey or a buzzard.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yes, large bird sacrum (hip bone). Not to worry Joe, it is a common error. You could, indeed, fashion a head for a nifty dragon skeleton from it. What large, native birds are in your area? Without my checking, it possibly is a turkey as mentioned above. Waterfowl have a much longer structure so it is not a goose or a duck.
    Below are some of the cormorant types. They also appear longer than what you have.
    [​IMG]

This will give you a good idea of a goose. https://www.etsy.com/listing/703116729/goose-pelvis-cleaned-and-sun-bleached

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. joeym

I have at least one of these annually show up at my shop. The common question is.."Mr Joey, whathehell kinda skull is this?"!!!

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You could be creative and make one out of chicken bones like this and just tell them they found a dragon skull. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

I love this thread :D
    I will forever now refer to them as dragon skulls when I see them!

that's..... creative and pretty cool actually.