1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Way To Cape A Doe For Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dingo.303, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

whats ya ideas or better method to cape out a doe, dorsal cut up to the back of the head? or tube'n ? do ya have any advice on tube'n out the head? do ya cut a long the back to the shoulder then tube out or tube from the belly?

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Most of the time the head will be too large to tube. Make a straight line cut beginning just behind the ears and about 6-8 inches long down the center of the neck.

3. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

yeah thanks, so only cut a small section of the back, say between shoulders and the neck/ears?

or start way up high behind the ears and only come down a littlE?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not at all Joey. I always tubed does. When you get one in, skin the neck all the way down and sever the spine. This can be done with a scalpel. At that point, take take a SHARP scalpel and hold the ears apart. Insert the blade in the center of the skull, even with the front of the ear butts and make a linear cut down the center of the skull to the skull shelf on the back of the skull. Open that incision and cut the ear butts off. Either tube or or push the skull up through the incision.
    Going back together, install your earliners and put about half the clay you'll use in the ear butts. That skull relief cut will give you more than enough room to maneuver your manikin. Once in place, fill the ear butts and shape them. Sew up the incision. Roll the muzzle back, clay your eyes, and glue the face. Roll the muzzle bag and finish. Roll the neck forward and glue it heavily before positioning and stapling the hide to the backboard.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  5. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

you can tube a doe off with no incision and get it on the manikin you can do a buck also just cut his antlers at pedicles

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yea I tube all mine , it can be a little tuff if it’s a small doe , but if that’s the case I will tube it starting at the mouth and basically go backwards. Cut lip line and nose then eyes then ear butts and off the necK

I will mount by cutting form in v notch few inches behind head , cutting head off form I’ll put ears in with clay , I insert head thru mouth opening then put 5 min epoxy on v cut and pull cape over neck and form into v cut and hold till 5 min epoxy kicks then roll hide up , put hide paste on and finish mounting , no cuts at all on cape

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    msestak likes this.
  7. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 Member

fyi did my doe mount but didnt tube it... come up a treat. love it!
    might pop up a photo once it dries an give it a paint :)

8. I have had no problems with tube skinning, if its tight 4 ya stretch it out a little bit and bamo, slides over nicely. The less sewing the better, imo. Saves time and makes you more money cause tour spending less time on it. IMO

9. Ramsey taxidermy

Ramsey taxidermy New Member

Would you use this method on a button buck as well

10. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes you can, now you can do 1 of 2 things as your skinning for the buttons , you can use a screw driver and work the skin up and off the buttons or what I do just take a small mallet and hit the buttons breaking them from the skull then skin the cape off and go back after and pull buttons out of cape . Then when mounting just mix up some apoxysculpt and fill button pockets and sew up cape then position and shape buttons and let harden .

Ramsey taxidermy likes this.
  11. Yes I have tubed them but in my old school days we cut them all the way down and was no problem we knew how to sew them back up