1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody Else Ever Do This???

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mike Powell, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I had this elk with his nose almost straight up so I could sew up the back easier - I turned and wanted to step over quickly to the table to grab another tool and walked straight into the antler (note the red dot on my forehead over the right eye). I hit it so hard it sealed off the blood vessels and it hardly bled, but man it hurt!!
    20006890-DFCA-4013-B112-DFE39AFE3CEA.jpeg

Robert Baker and Bellami like this.
  2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

hows the elk doing. lol.:D sorry. i couldnt resist. hope your doing good.

Robert Baker, Bellami and Mike Powell like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Quit trying to adjust the horns with your forehead, duh, I can't believe I have to remind you of that. I can't say I have had it happen exactly like you but yep it's a given to end up with at least one bruise when I'm working on critters with large antlers.

Robert Baker and Mike Powell like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve came close , after that I tie surveying ribbons on them now , just for that reason. Glad it wasn’t worse , like your eye

Robert Baker and Keith like this.
  5. Mike Powell

The elk is fine, but I could swear the bugling mouth turned ever so slightly into a grin! LOL!!!
    And 3 bears, I can attest that the antlers are firmly affixed...no room for adjustment.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

`I used to have antler mounts for customers in a room that I also did some dumbell exercises. I did some curls sitting on an exercise ball and when I was done I set the weights down, stood up, took a step backwards, tripped and landed my butt on the ball which launched me into the air. I came down head first on a moose antler mount laying on the floor and was rendered unconscious for about 20 minutes. That was the last time I did a workout in there.

7. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Lmao Tanglewood!

8. Mike Powell

Thank you for sharing that experience...I feel much better about myself now!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have seen some frightening photographs of the inside of shops that do a huge amount of antler euro work. One slip and fall in the wrong direction would result in a trip to the emergency room and a newspaper reporter wanting to do a story on the attack by a whole herd of enraged bucks and elk.

10. garden hose will protect you. put it on those antler tips.

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I came really close to that happening a few years back. I lost my balance, and was heading down on a huge pile of prepped skulls. God helped me find a tabletop to correct my balance! In an instant, I could see myself being impaled by multiple antlers! I no longer pile them in the floor!

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Tennis balls with a hole in them can cover antler tips as well foam.

Mike Powell likes this.