1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Earbutts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rgvmelb, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I'm sure it's been covered a lot, but can someone give me a rundown on how to go about doing the earbutts, more so what to do after you're happy with them before mounting please?
    So they're on the form, looking the goods. What are the next steps to successfully get it back together without ruining all the work done.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I like to install the clay prior to putting on the form. Roll back the skin on the ear, and insert into a ball of clay on a tabletop. You can model it how you like, and it will stay in place when you blend it into the bondo on the ear.

Robert Baker likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Pry them loose from the form and freeze them. Insert the frozen liner with ear butt into the ear skin and by the time you're ready to put it to the form it will have thawed enough to stick it to the form.

Robert Baker, George, Rgvmelb and 2 others like this.
  4. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

you can cut them off of the form without distorting your clay work. Cut through the clay with dental floss close against the form. Freeze them as previously mentioned and you are good to go. I learned this from a very talented Taxidermist/Competition Judge.

5. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Thanks very much, l'll try freezing them next time.

Robert Baker likes this.
  6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Use critter clay and just let it dry before popping off form , or use apoxeysculpt let it kick and notch cut of form , that way when you mount it will lock back in , put a little 5 min epoxy in notch and your good to go .

Robert Baker and George like this.
  7. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

Can't do either of those unfortunately. 8oz of Apoxie Sculpt is around $60+ here and critter/air drying clay is around $10 for 500g/1lb. I don't think you guys realize how good you've got it over there sometimes!

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Then build them with paper mache

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Build them with potters clay. Model them on a tabletop, with the clay in the ear. If this is a competition deer, you can model on the form. cut off, and freeze, as said. For a commercial deer, this is a terrible waste of time.

10. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Use an old sock

11. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I dont build my ear butts until I already have the cape on the form.
    I always keep a spare pair of earliners in the shop for just ear butt building. Once you have the cape on the form but not sewed up yet, simply take a spare pair of earliners and build your ear butts out of clay. Once satisfied with your ear butts, just twist and pop the earliner out of your clay butt. If you already have liner installed in the skin, now you only need to insert your liner/skin into your clay ear butt. Now you can do any blending through the skin you might need to do and didnt mess up your clay ear butt while putting the skin on the form.