1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by ARUsher, Oct 7, 2020.

1. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has had a lot of rattlesnakes on his property lately. He had a pet bit by one the other night. He would like for me to try mounting one for him. Question I have is what is a good and safe way to dispatch one without destroying it. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Put it in the freezer alive ... overnight.

:)

Kerby...

3. ARUsher

Thank you for the reply Kerby. I am not sure he is brave enough to catch one but will pass this info along to him.

Thanks again!
    Andrew

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

for quite a few nights........

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

They are relatively easy to catch actually. They are not nearly as aggressive as some other snakes - like cottonmouths. If he’s concerned about handling it, tell him to use a stiff rake to scoop him up into a trash bag. Roll it up and pop him in the freezer like Kirby said. I usually leave them a couple of days, but overnight will likely do the trick.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Be sure and contain it well before placing in the freezer. You would think they would coil up when freezing to death...but noooo...you'll have a snake-sicle entangled around everything in the freezer!

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Freeze as above. Do NOT take the chance of getting bit. If you get the critter into a trash bag, I would not handle it or get it anywhere near you or any body part unless you are handling it with very heavy gloves and only by the wound together top of the bag. A rattler can easily strike and puncture the bag anywhere. Could easily be your hand or even your leg if the bag gets close to it. A random strike can still find a target accidentally.

8. We always put copperheads in a cotton sack or cloth feed sack in the freezer never no problem 24 hours gone with the wind

9. ARUsher

Thanks for the tips everyone.

10. Have you thought about assembling a skeleton? In a display case it would look great.

11. Herper

Herper New Member

Freezing as others have mentioned above, I recommend using a pillow case. Also a friend of mines breeds rodents and uses Co2 in a Rubbermaid tote to despatch them. It gets the tanks and Co2 from Paintball supply store. It should work with snakes as Well.

12. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Easy to catch.... You need a set of tongs to put them down though... Grab the snake right behind the head, grab the tail with your other hand to keep it under control.... Then use a 3cc syringe and a 22ga needle with rubbing alcohol, Roll the head down so it cannot open his mouth and inject the rubbing alcohol into the back of the head. In my experience they are usually dead before you can put them into another container..... Some will require a 2nd or 3rd injection to euthanize them though.....

After rereading my post I need to add, that this technique requires 2 people to do, one to hold the snake on the table and another to inject the alcohol into the head.....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    ARUsher likes this.