1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Assistance Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Manny81, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Manny81

Manny81 Member

Hello there.
    I am not here to bash any business, not my nature. I will not mention any names.
    Recently, due to covid, my tannery shut down on me. Needless to say I had to find alternatives, came across an add of a tannery and called to inquire. I have two full body sized black bears, one was meant for a rug the other a full body mount. The dry tanned for the rug was sent directly to the rug lady and the other shipped to me. Upon inspection I noticed the bear still had fat, one of the eyes was completely busted and the paws still had phalanges attached with a rotten smell coming from that area. Had to flesh it out and remove the bones to the claws. The rug lady had issues too but she mentioned it was just waaay too greasy, no mention of the improper fleshing.
    My question is, is there a way to stabilize that area? Or will I need to throw that cape away?
    this is also a post to create awareness. Stay away from unknown tanneries! I blame myself for it of course. Just don’t want someone else to be in my situation.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok a few things to help right now use alcohol in those bad spots as this will help but only as a preservative!
    Now even though the tannery didn’t remove the foot bones but I hate to say it , that was your job unless you paid them to do it. As for the grease issue. That was bad on their part and I would resend them to another qualified tannery explaining to them the issues. There will be no guarantee on redoing these skin as the whole process needs to be redone, hydrate, pickle, degrease pickle degreasing more if needed neutralize then tan and cool.
    Sorry this happened as it was and might still be a costly one.
    Also don’t be afraid to say who did it as it’ll warn other new folks to stay away from hacks like this

tem and 3bears like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did you send them raw? Either way that unacceptable. Most tanneries have it written that there will be an extra charge to remove toe bones and I assume they do it and charge you. I don't know as I remove them when skinning.,

4. Manny81

Manny81 Member

Yes I paid for fleshing/turning/splitting service too. It was a wet tan.
    My complain is, when you wet tan, aren’t you supposed to remove them so the chemicals can penetrate? Doing it after seems weird. Again, I always sent them to CFD and they ALWAYS remove the phalanges and flesh to the claw area. They always do a phenomenal job and never had issues. That’s why I’m inquiring, seems kinda odd that a different tannery would leave them in with tendons, meat and fat. The smell took over my shop

5. Manny81

Manny81 Member

Thank you Frank,
    I will do that. I appreciate the tip!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

There has never been "standards" in taxidermy , why would you expect them in the tannery business ?

7. Manny81

Manny81 Member

I absolutely agree!