1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Getting A Case Skinned Hide Onto A Form?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kate Lacour, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

Excited to work with my first tanned hide after many, many rounds with DP.

I received a lovely raccoon that’s case skinned, a first for me. I assume I’ll need to make a ventral slit to lay it over the form? Seems like the obvious approach but as a newbie I try to never make assumptions.

I appreciate your input!

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

The reason for case cut skins is little to no sewing, so you notch cut the form into pcs and slide cut pcs in hide and put it back together, put some epoxy on cut and pcs , no sewing . Heads can usually go back in thru the mouth opening. I will say this tho, that form looks to small for the coon you have it laying next to .

Keith, joeym and Kate Lacour like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

George Roof has a really good tutorial on this in the tutorial section.

Kate Lacour likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It's under the heading List Of Tutorials by Subject. Once you click on that, go to the mammal section and click on George's tutorial.

Kate Lacour likes this.
  5. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

Don't know how I missed that one- thank you! The tutorials are such a great resource, God bless George and the other folks who've made them,

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

It is a great tutorial that applies to most any small mammal.

Kate Lacour likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm agreeing with 13point. It may be the camera angle, but that mannikin looks way small for the skin you have.

Kate Lacour likes this.