1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Orange Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Safari12, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Safari12

Safari12 Member

Playing around with masicration with a personal bears skull.... the skull is now orange.... why did it turn orange and will it whiten?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You posted twice but I will reply on one. Try using the Advanced Search. Look in this forum only and search for Pot Belly Pig Skull. Find my post on it and look through all the pictures. You could also try searching for Discolored skull or Orange skull and see if any others come up.

How did you macerate it and what did you use for a container?

3. Safari12

Safari12 Member

I saw the double post, i apologize. I couldn’t figure out gods to delete one.. not a very technical guy... it was in an old metal pot

4. Lots of different kinds of metal pots. and many of them will react with the maceration soup and bacteria and can cause staining. You need to use a non reactive pot. Enamel coated metal, stainless steel or the simplest is a plastic bucket. Glass is also non reactive.

Aluminum, copper, cast iron, non stainless steel will all have differing reactions and increase the likelihood of undesirable results due to the different mineral reactions.

What you have is likely rust stain caused by the reaction of the water and the container. And peroxide will not remove most mineral stains. That is why Sea Wolf referred you to her post as it discusses how to deal with the mineral stain.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

At the bottom of your post on the left, there is a link to "Edit". I think you can delete it there. If not a full delete, you can remove all the type and change the title to one or two numbers or symbols (like ***) then it just fades away.

As above, metal pots are bad unless it is real high grade stainless steel. Plastic buckets are cheap and won't cause issues. Take a look at that post and try what I did to remove the staining. It's possible it's iron stains from a really bloody head but it might also be rust (also iron).

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I macerated an ibex in a metal water trough in an attempt to loosen the horn sheaths once...never again!!! I had a terrible time whitening that orange skull!