1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tuff Fin Question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I recently purchased some Tuff Fin on the recommendation of Rick Kranes videos and have a question that I am hoping someone might be able to help me with. Rick recommends in some of his videos that you can apply a coating of Tuff Fin to the entire fish prior to glossing and this will aid in getting a good gloss on your fish. I am going to try this out, but I just wonder about if the Tuff Fin might have an ill effect if applied over the entire fish.

I use typically the regular green can sealer from walmart when I need to seal the fish, and after i run a hair dryer over it briefly it dries very quickly and I have never gotten any interference with the underlying paint. I have experimented with the Tuff Fin and it seems to dry fairly slowly, still being tacky after a few hours. My main worry is that beacuse it doesn't dry quickly, that it may cause paint bleeding or other ill effects as it dries on the fish. I of course would seal the fish very well prior to the introduction of the tuff fin, but still was just wondering if anyone else has used Tuff Fin over the entire fish, and if that presented any problems.

I certainly trust Ricks recommendations, but just like to gather as many opinions as i can before i try something new.

Thanks for reading and have a good week
    Chris

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If you trust him then do it. Rick would never tell any person to use a product that would cause havoc to your paint job.
    When he tells you something as well as me you can take it to the bank and cash it.
    Before Rick pits his name on any thing he does I’ll guarantee to he put it through the test big time. Listen to his words and you’ll do fine.

Trapper2016 likes this.

3. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

what would be the reason to coat the fish with Tuffin

Trapper2016 likes this.
  4. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

From what i remember WLELTD, Rick was saying that it makes for a more even and consistent surface that aids in the subsequent glossing of the fish.

Clew likes this.