1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Green Capes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Edward C Forest, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Edward C Forest

Edward C Forest New Member

Does anyone still mount green capes with dry preservative if so do you shave and what type of glue? Thankyou

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Reach out to JoeyM. He can help you...great guy and very willing to help.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. Use a round knife (fleshing machine) made for thinning hides normally during the pickle process. Remove larger chunks of meat and fat with a knife. Then flesh and thin the raw cape with the round knife commonly known as a fleshing machine. I have heard that using Sop-Rot on the hide and then DP is superior to DP alone.

Use a glue that is DP compatible and preferably one that sets up and locks down the hide rather quickly. David Byrd on here also does outstanding DP mounts. I would reach out to him too.
    I didn't Dp anything larger than a squirrel, so, I'm going off of research that I have done on the subject and off of posts I have read here.

I quit using tanning products toward the end of my taxidermy career and instead used a liquid preserve from Headquarters supply. The steps were not much different than DP except you would paint a liquid preservent on the cape instead of putting DP on it, so I know that the thinning a raw cap on the fleshing machine part does work well.