1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint Blistering

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 8ptd, Oct 12, 2020.

1. 8ptd

8ptd New Member

I am working on a Dennis ARP brown trout reproduction and I have a spot in front of the eye to the tip of the nose that when I put the sealer on it looks like it blisters.
    I sanded the area and tried it again with the same results. Any suggestions on what would be a remedy for this?

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Wipe it with some denatured alcohol

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes it’s called fish eye ( not because your working on a fish) This happens when your piece wasn’t clean properly.
    Do as above, touch up your paint and then gloss and pray you got it all off.
    You’ll find out more after you gloss if the fish is ok as that will really show up.
    Best of luck.
    Next time make sure you either wash with a good degreaser and rinse well or use acetone and wipe clean.

Mudbat and Beltonbanger like this.
  4. 8ptd

8ptd New Member

Thank you guys for replying!!
    I thought I had the whole thing wiped down before I started applying paint but obviously I missed that area.
    Thank goodness I only have a couple of stages done so if I have to strip it maybe it won’t be too bad.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. Exactly!!! Years ago I was doing a huge catfish and had the problem along the lateral line. Never again. Do as Frank states! BTW.....I stripped the catfish and started from point A. Blisters just kept coming!!!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

If you sanded that area like you stated, any residual wax or separator should have been removed if it is fiberglass. It should have also have done the same with a roto molded blank made of urethane

7. Scrub the blank, twice with Comet, or Bon Ami, or Bar Keepers friend. Before using acetone test on the blank in a area. Some I have had problems with the primer on some blanks.

Cecil likes this.