1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Never To Old To Learn!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drob, Oct 17, 2020.

1. drob

drob Active Member

Preparing to mount my fifth Elk.When the customer dropped it off he said that the guides usually take the "ivories" out for him,but they didn't have time.He asked me to do it,and I Said sure(not knowing what the heck he was talking about).Well chalk another one up for the internet!

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Always remember the ivories...you'll get fired if you lose them! I place them in a zip-lock bag and tape them to the antlers. Had a customer call me weeks after he had picked up his elk inquiring about them...I told him they were taped to the antlers. He responded "I thought that was some kind of permit that had to stay with the elk"! Sometimes, I just shake my head in disbelief, LOL!

drob, Westcoast, Rausch and 1 other person like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I worked on caping and preparing an elk up til 2:00 am. It was garbage day in the morning so I cleaned up, threw everything in the garbage, took the can up to the street and went to bed, as I had to get up at 5:00 am to go to my "day job".

As I heard the garbage truck picking up cans at 4:30 ,I realized that I left the ivories in the skull. I run out and fish through the can, pull the skull out, run to my shop, get the scalpel, a hammer and a 2X4 and run back up to the street cut around the ivories, put the 2X4 up to them and whack the 2X4 with the hammer out come the ivories, I lift up the head and put it the can as the garbage truck approaches me and the can. I then realize that I'm dressed in only my underwear and a headlamp.

I wonder what the garbage man was thinking as he was witnessing all of this in his headlights. He could see this going on the whole time as my street is a long lighted straight stretch.

drob likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

LOL! I suspect most garbage men can tell some interesting and humorous stories!!! Mine told me once a lady came up behind them honking the horn, and screaming "I threw away my money"! They pulled over and started breaking open bags...after a few minutes they hit the Klondike...a garbage bag containing $68,000 in cash!!! She gave each one of the men a hundred dollar bill, and went her merry way!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.