1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy As A Job

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gehilpiku84, Oct 18, 2020 at 1:26 AM.

1. gehilpiku84

gehilpiku84 New Member

Hello everyone! I would like to ask you all one question, would taxidermy be a good job to have? This year I will go to college and all the GCSE’s I would like to have don’t have jobs I would like to do ( history, geography, chemistry etc ) but I’ve been thinking of possibly being a taxidermist because I love animals, hunting and the outdoors and it’s also really the only job that I find interesting. Thanks for reading.
    https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020 at 6:13 AM
  2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I would highly recommend you to complete a four year degree. If you love animals, get a science/biology degree. Find a job, and do taxidermy as a part time/hobby. It is difficult to have enough work to make an income comparable to career employment. I worked 30 years in Agricultural Research and did taxidermy as a sideline. Upon retirement 15 years ago, I expanded my business. To this day, it would be difficult to make it on my taxidermy income alone.

Glenn M likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yep that’s why we all got into this and now it’s hard to find time to enjoy the outdoors cause of the overload of work. Yes you can make a living but hard work, price to pay cause what it does to your body especially the hands and back. The choice is yours but be willing to be working on holidays weekends etc unless your able to build a huge shop with employees

Keith, joeym and pir^2h like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If you got into this because you love to hunt just remember all the work you will take in is from hunters during hunting season, something you love to do . You will loose hunting time as you must be at your shop to take things in and then work on as you grow your business, at that time you won’t be able to pay yourself let alone a helper . So just be prepared to hunt very little for bout 5-10 years if not longer . Not trying to discourage just giving facts , I’m on my 36 year and have cut back but still have little time to hunt . Goodluck

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I haven't hunted since 1993. I do fish occasionally, because that can be done any day of the year!

6. Dennis Duffy

Dennis Duffy Member

I know quite a few very successful Taxidermist that still hunt. If there is a will there is a way! Yes its a job and you need to treat it as such and there are sacrifices just like with any job. But I do think you should start it as a part time thing with another job for main income until you establish a customer base where you can decide if you want to turn it into a full time profession.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It's hard to enjoy a hunt when you know that there is a person at your business taking deer heads for you and they are piling up. I had to hunt on a week end day because I had a full time primary job along with my full time taxidermy business.

I suggest taking as many business classes as you can and follow the advice that has been offered here.

My business was successful. It was full time and made a lot of money for me and my family. The reason why is that I ran it as business even before I opened the doors to the public.

ALWAYS, business classes first, taxidermy classes second and as you run the business for years and years, It is still the business first and the taxidermy second.

Dennis Duffy likes this.