1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can I Change This Fishes Specie With Paint?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by steve henline, Oct 18, 2020.

1. I can't get kokanee replicas in the smaller sizes I want ( 12" to"14") but I can get brookie and rainbows. My question is; Do you think it would be noticeable if I used the trout replicas and painted them kokanee colors. I realize the bodies are slightly different, but would anyone notice?
    What I am attempting for my first project is 4 kokanee for the wall. The largest being a spawning male followed by a spawning female and then with 2 bright fish. I will appreciate you guidance. Do you find it amazing how very little old men novices know? Thanks again, Steve

Incidentally it's my 75th birthday today and I am planning on spending the day carving and painting fish. 6 weeks ago all I could do is sit in my boat and occasionally catch one.

msestak and joeym like this.
  2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I don't think most anyone would know, unless you told them.

msestak and JL like this.

3. Great! It will be our secret.
    Yesterday I finished my 2nd fish, a Kamloop trout. I've still got a tremendous amount to learn, but its coming along. I will start on my Kokanee project tomorrow. I am so delighted to having found this forum and all of its members that are willing to share their wealth of knowledge and experience. Truly awesome. With your help it makes an old man believe he can do anything.
    These are my first two attempts. Hopefully I can do better. Much better!

Attached Files:

msestak and joeym like this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol ya folks can tell a male if your doing a spawning one even if it’s fully scaled any person who fishes for them can. Your going to have to alter the fins plus the head. Sorry but a person who knows them and may want them done might have second thoughts if it’s not done correctly. Something to think about before you venture into it.
    It can be done but you need to alter a lot and is it worth it in the end?

JL likes this.
  5. Thanks for the feed-back. What I had in mind was a 20" male koke (spawner) reproduction from McKenzie (painted appropriately) and then use 3 smaller (maybe 14" to 16" rainbow/brook) painted appropriate Koke colors. I lack the skills to modify any reproductions and just thought (hoped) I could get away with using the rainbow or brook repros to complete the package. I, again, hoped that the spawning mail colored up would set the tone for the imagery.
    The correct solution would be to find some Koke reproductions, but I've had no success finding Koke's under 20", Male or female.
    If its not going to look true, I think I'll pass on my friends request and move on to something else. My old Grandpa always told me, "If its worth doing....Do it right" . Th hard part of those timely instructions is that I don't know is how to put this grouping together right. Thanks Again, Steve

msestak likes this.
  6. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

If you want blanks that size, Rich Benedict has 1, Envision 3D has at least 5, and Unique Species has about 7.

msestak likes this.
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I think I would have just done it , then posted and see if anyone caught it . JMO .

msestak likes this.

8. Thanks, Do you have links for the blanks suppliers? You just put a big smile on an old mans face. I truly hope I can find what I need. Thanks again, Steve
    [email protected]

msestak likes this.
  9. Thank you for the birthday wish. I'm not sharp enough to think of just doing it and waiting for feed-back. I for sure (unless I forget) will remember that for similar quandaries I suffer through. Enjoy this beautiful fall day wherever you are. Steve

msestak likes this.
  10. I found the links and sent out inquires as to availability.. Thanks. I was going to bring you a six pack of beer for the advice, but you live too far away from Utah so I'll just drink it and say thanks with each and every one. That's nice of me isn't it?
    Quick question; Do you have any experience with these blanks?

msestak and Sotired like this.
  11. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Only Envision 3D, never any complaints on his blanks.

msestak likes this.
  12. Agler

Agler New Member

Symbolic fish usually require a high degree of similarity, of course, the premise is that people recognize it

msestak likes this.

13. It truly is great. I'm still awaiting responses. We are attempting a little carving, which might do, but our carvings lack the detail found on blanks. I'll post some pictures showing what I am attempting to do as this project develops.
    In light of the fact that I don't know anything I'm a little reluctant to show my attempts until I realize that not one of you professionals was born an artist or a taxidermist Which are ultimately the same thing.
    I am not going anywhere due to the pandemic and no one comes around so I need someone to gauge my attempts...... if I'm moving ahead or in full retreat. Thanks once again for your guidance. Steve Henline, Spanish Fork, Utah

msestak likes this.
  14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

In body form, is there any real difference between a kokanee and a sockeye? I have caught the latter and thought the kokanee was just a landlocked sockeye.

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Their the same fish

JL likes this.
  16. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Here in Colorado there is a huge difference in Kokanee betweeen different bodies of water. The first time I fished for them through the ice the fish were barely 12 inches. When I was doing taxidermy, a guy brought me one from a reservoir near me that was 28 inches and 7 pounds! It looked so much like the Sockeye I got in Washington. I suppose the difference is the available food. Personally, I have never seen them in the bright red Sockeye spawning colors, usually reddish with a lot of grey or black. Morphologically they are the same as Sockeye.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.