1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Elk Antlers From A Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kevin9122, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

Hi, I’m looking for advice for 1) removing a large elk rack from a shoulder mount and 2) replacing antlers on a manufactured skull for European mount. Any advice would be appreciated. upload_2020-10-18_12-0-52.jpeg

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Find the seam and cut it open over the skull plate, remove clay and peal hide from antler burrs, remove bolts/screws and clean off skull plate. You may need to soften hide but just wet towels left in place for a couple hours should work.

Kevin9122 likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If you use one of the artificial skulls with pedicle bases you can just saw off the antlers below the burr and follow the instructions for drilling out and attaching antlers individually with square steel rods. I find this method, however, to be more difficult in aligning the antlers up correctly. The method described by Mr. McNamara above, using the whole skull cap takes a little more work to remove the antlers, but I think will give you much better results with less work.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Definitely re-hydrate by placing wet towels along the sew line, and surrounding the antlers with them also. You will probably find 3-4 lag bolts holding the skull cap in place.

Kevin9122 likes this.
  5. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

Thanks. I’m having trouble finding skulls to accept the skull cap. Any vendor suggestions?

6. Mike Powell

Page 714 of McKenzie’s new catalog (slotted artificial European skull). Page 715 has a picture tutorial on how to place the skull cap on the artificial skull.

Kevin9122 likes this.
  7. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

F
    Found it! Thank you

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

9. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

Perfect. Thanks!

10. Mike Powell

Kevin9122 likes this.
  11. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

I was able to detach the antlers from the mount easily. Thanks for the advice! What would you all advise using to adhere the antlers to the euro skull and then to finish the surface for a natural look? upload_2020-10-26_16-6-35.jpeg

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Heavy duty screws and Apoxie Sculpt.

Kevin9122 likes this.
  13. Fermis

Fermis Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity...what did you do/intend to do with the antlerless mount?

Kevin9122 likes this.
  14. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

I had to destroy it to transport plus it was old and really losing hair.

15. Kevin9122

Kevin9122 New Member

I saw that Apoxie stuff and thought that might be a great product. Thanks!