1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Animal Did I Find?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Taylor Bybee, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Taylor Bybee

Taylor Bybee New Member

I was in the Grand Tetons National Park in Wyoming and I found this skeleton at our campsite. We have looked up different skeletons of most of the mammals there and it has not resembled any of them. Does anyone know what this is?

Attached Files:

2. Taylor Bybee

Taylor Bybee New Member

Upon further review, it is safe to rule out dinosaurs, large birds, medium birds, and possibly unicorns. Still not sold on that one yet... :/

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not sure what it is but I’m pretty sure what you have isn’t the head , looks like the whole rear end , hips and pelvis with backbone attached

How big was it in inches ? That would help .

magicmick likes this.
  4. Taylor Bybee

Taylor Bybee New Member

well this is awkward

DEFINITELY thought that was the head...LMAO

I'd say the 'butt' was about a foot in size, maybe a little more. Length of the whole skeleton was maybe 3-4 feet, but it obviously wasn't complete so it makes it hard to tell

5. Taylor Bybee

Taylor Bybee New Member

Here's another picture from a different angle, if it helps

Attached Files:

6. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Rear end of an elk I believe. The “eyes” are actually hip sockets. Could be a deer too depending on how accurate your foot long estimate is.

John C and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A young unicorn would actually leave bones like that. So, I wouldn't be ruling it out. I would go back and search for rainbow colored droppings much like large melted Skittles. If you can find the horn and skull you will be rich!

Megan :) and Rausch like this.
  8. Pig ?

9. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

Little tough to say without scale. For the area, I'd wager elk or deer

10. It is probably a mountain goat. The national park service wants to remove all of them from Grand Teton National Park as they are not native and pose a threat, through disease transmission, to the bighorn sheep there. The hunt started in September and runs until sometime in November. They had a drawing for hunters to go in and shoot all they can. However, the hunters can't keep the trophies or any parts of the animals. Any salvaged meat has to go to food pantries. So far they have killed 40+ goats with roughly 80 more to go.

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Rausch is correct. It is the South end of an Elk facing North. The flat part across the top inner edge of the hip bone (pelvis) more than likely identifies it. It would look like this intact.
    [​IMG]

12. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Leave it upto the government to kill all of these Mt. goats. How much tax payer money did the park service spend on a stupid move like this? Idiots! If they really want to useful and spend tax payer money, they should remove all the wolves in the park and plant them in Portland!

13. Oregon
    Or your talking about PORTLAND main