1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasimg Tank Heater Help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by kthuntingheritage, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Can anyone help me out with a picture of a degreasing tank heater setup using a hot water heater and thermostat setup? I am using a plastic tractor supply trough type tank.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Try searching the archives here. Use good search terms and word combinations. There are many posts on here and some also had pictures. There are also some good posts on using a bucket heater hooked to a thermostat as well.

3. thanks sea wolf

4. Sea Wolf

Also invest in a small circulating pump to keep the water moving around. It evens out your temperature in the tank and keeps the detergent solution mixed. I used a powerhead for an undergravel fish tank filter but you can also find small sized submersible pumps made for waterfall displays. If you get a powerhead do not use the option of aerating the water.

Megan :) likes this.
  5. Southtexas

Southtexas New Member

Here's my tank, small but efficient and I don't have to worry about burning the house down.

Attached Files:

6. That is a clean looking setup!

Southtexas likes this.
  7. andywb

andywb New Member

Here's my tank, small but efficient and I don't have to worry about burning the house ....are you using a hot water heater element or something else? What type of base\housing is the element attached to? Thanks

8. Southtexas

Southtexas New Member

It's an over the side submersible heater,

9. Sea Wolf

If it is one of those heaters made by Allied, get rid of it. They are an extreme fire hazard. There've been many posts on here about those.

10. I use a 1000watt stock heater (any farm supply store) with an inkbird thermostat (Amazon item). Fresh water in the tank and place the skulls in buckets. I tried the whole hot water heater element / thermostat thing for a while and found this was cheeper and easier to use.
    63038401566__2D98F5E0-62F4-4923-A61D-93A770D656CC.jpeg