1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any Advice For Beginners?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by hilksbles73, Oct 21, 2020.

1. hilksbles73

hilksbles73 New Member

I'm really interested in taxidermy but I have no idea where to start! I don't have any dead animals lying around and I don't hunt. Should I ask around for spare carcasses? Or should I start with artificial skins? And are beginner taxidermy kits useful?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it.
    usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Start reading here on this site and maybe invest in some old books that explain the whole process start to finish. You can also watch videos online or purchase some. Once you have an idea of the process and the tools and supplies needed, ask around and find someone who does hunt or fish and ask for one or two specimens to start out with. I would suggest a squirrel, raccoon or largemouth bass. You can also purchase skins to work with. If you post in the wanted section of this forum there are often those who would make a deal on leftover or extra hides to a newbie wanting to start out. The basic beginner kits are fine to start out with, but before you start get a basic idea of the process and some specific direction about the animal you choose to start with.

3. Hi, i have been doing taxidermy fo 42 yrs the best thing you can do is go to a deer processor and get a doe that has been caped out or even a button buck and take a hammer and slighty hit the buttons and that will free them from the skull and skin it the same as you would a doe and that way you can mount it on a doe form. Do what Mike Powell said read and watch a video on skinning a deer good luck. Jim ps if you need more help contact me.

Mike Powell likes this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Go to your library and get some books on taxidermy. Read them and become familiar with what needs to be done. Start small and use a squirrel. The skin is tough and will give you some good experience in skinning and fleshing a hide. Some skins you can just use a dry preservative and most skins need some form of tanning. There are many different ways depending on what type of animal or bird you are using. If you don't hunt, ask at your local sportsmens shop if you can put up a want ad asking for someone to gift you a shot squirrel, raccoon, bird or similar. But, before you get any type of specimen to work on, read, read, read and have a good idea of what you need to do from skinning and hide prep all the way to mounting first.