1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Macerating Snake?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Muscovite, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Muscovite

Muscovite New Member

Hello,
    I was out walking in the woods today when I found a snake carcass in the water. I brought it home and then did some research on how to clean it. I decided to go with macerating it, but was wanting some tips. The snake has probably been decomposing in the water for a few days, as skin is already peeling off. Is it okay that it's already slightly decomposed, and if so, how long will the maceration process take?
    All the best.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Hold your nose and remove the skin. Separate the body into sections to limit how many vertebra and ribs you have to deal with and trim off what extra flesh you can. Macerate each section separately. You can do this using plastic bags for each part if you are careful. Also do the head in it's own bag as it will come apart in several pieces. Do it the right way, in warm water and it will be clean in probably less than two weeks.

3. The skull is very tricky to assemble, especially in smaller snakes. And ribs would likely get mixed up. It's better to remove large chunks of meat & dry the snake, then get dermestid beetles.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This, of course would be the ideal way. If you still intend to macerate, the sections I mentioned need to be about 3 or 4 inches long. Number the bags so you keep them in order. This way, you don't have as many ribs to sort through to figure out what goes where. Otherwise, you will have an insane jumble of bones. Use the Search function on here and see if the old post on snake skeleton assembly comes up. Macerating snake skeleton or similar may also find it. I might be wrong but it may have been one of Jean Christophe's posts.

5. Insert a nylon thread along the spine. This will keep the vertebrae together in position. You can use ammonia to disinfect, remove odor and thus be able to better handle rotten remains. I prefer to marinate in two or three sections rather than more. Get a good guide to mount the skull. I know it's a bit late, but maybe it will work for the next one.