1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Shoulder Forms

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Brianjax, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Brianjax

Brianjax New Member

Which whitetail shoulder forms are the most accurate in detail and user friendly?
    Opinions please?

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The key word in your question is “opinions.” There are some forms that are very basic and others that are highly detailed, much of which will not show on the finished mount unless the taxidermist doesn’t something to highlight those details. The biggest difference, in my opinion, is the size of the deer - and I don’t mean A-B-C measurements. There are some with a narrow face and thinner shoulders more adept for southern, or central Texas deer. Others are larger framed with a wider skull and face that are more for northern deer. Some of the suppliers will specify a certain line is for southern deer, others for northern. You could buy several 7x20 forms, even from the same supplier and have forms that quite different.
    Finding an accurate fit to the deer you get in is the most important IMO. Understanding which forms fit which deer is what I focus on. As for accuracy of detail, most of that is the job of the taxidermist. Personally, I have a list of forms I like depending on what part of Texas, or what part of the country the deer comes from.

Westcoast and Lance.G like this.