1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Preserve A Full Small Bird?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by akalsteni68, Oct 22, 2020.

1. akalsteni68

akalsteni68 New Member

I had a bird just die (cockatiel). Rigor mortis hasn't set in yet but it's about to. I have her posed on a stick with her wings out and her neck propped up. I'm trying to figure how I can do a full mount and what is the best way. I've never done something like this before. I usually just do bones and skulls. Any immediate help would be appreciated before I mess something up.
    https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

You are going to have to skin and mount it like any other taxidermy. Run to the public library and check out a book on taxidermy. You will carve from foam or build with excelsior a body using the carcass for dimensions. Glass eyes and borax for preservative. Keep it in the fridge for a day or freeze it if you cant start it right away. C1.jpg C11.jpg C12.jpg C13.jpg C14.jpg

magicmick, benp, drob and 1 other person like this.

3. drob

drob Active Member

Thats pretty funny,I thought people under 30 have never been to a library!

magicmick and socalmountainman like this.
  4. socalmountainman

The two best books I learned from when I was 12 yrs old I must have checked out over and over again a thousand times until I could afford the $12 for the Northwestern School of Taxidermy correspondence course. Back then we learned from books, no Youtube, no Internet. Those were the good ol' days! Best Taxidermy books ever!.jpg

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Can't agree more. I have both those books (and others) and they are both extremely helpful. Put your bird in a ziploc bag, squeeze the air out and close it. Put it in the freezer for now until you are really ready to mount it and have everything you need on hand. For such a small bird, you can wrap (make) your own body to match what you remove from the bird as Socalmountainman pointed out above. Look in the library for either of those books shown above. Take out both if you can get them and read and become familiar with what you need to do. You can even find them on eBay for cheap.

socalmountainman likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can also get a DVD from Kulis Kastaway website on mounting small birds on a homemade body.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

and that small bird came from me !!! Ditto what's been said above. Just reading your initial post verifies you're not quite sure what's needed. Do a little or a lot of research and then dive in head first. Be sure to post here and include pictures

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

DO NOT RELY ON YOUTUBE VIDEOS. MOST ARE LESSONS ON HOW TO NOT DO TAXIDERMY!!!!!!

9. Sea Wolf

Well, isn't that a nifty observation. Folks, we have another troll wasting your time. Possibly this poor idiot is stuck in some sort of time loop and can't even manage to remember their own login info each time so they have to make a new ID each time. Sad to be so bored with your life. Poor thing needs a hobby and perhaps a real bird...

Looked at ConnerLawsons posts. All scam posts, every one containing hidden links to off site crap that has nothing to do with taxidermy. Reported the user.

The other does the same thing, bogus post, so is more than likely the same moron.
    The fake twit above, akalsteni68, has got to be the same uninspired individual. Not sure why they forgot to put in their usual fake links to non taxidermy sites. Must be doing it to get click bait brownie points for something.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    magicmick and benp like this.
  10. I have those books,purchased them second hand at gun show/fair ,took me 20 yrs before i could fine anything on taxidermy.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Good catch. I thought it sounded familiar.

12. socalmountainman

Damn it!
    I hate when this happens!
    Good catch Sea Wolf!

13. Sea Wolf

LOL. But, this time, I didn't catch the troll. Benp did. :)