1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitened Skull.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hoytarcher, Oct 22, 2020.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    We are getting into the colder seasons and the amount of skulls coming in is getting bigger and bigger. My question to everyone is this, in the summer, after I pull the skull from the whitening I rinse it then set it directly in the. With the weather changing, is there an artifical source that would work the same? Do I need the heat or the direct brightness of the sun to get it real white?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

The sun will still help on the whitening even in the winter , just make sure you cover the rack so it doesn’t get bleached out also , I cut a black trash bag in strips and wrap it around antlers and horns to allow skull to set in sun

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Heat is your actual booster, sunlight not so much. You can use the pasting method, wrap the skull with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out too fast and set it in front of any heat source. Use the paste with 20 or 40 VOL for the best effect. Rotate it so all sides get the heat evenly.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I place skulls in front of a small forced-fan electric heater. I made a "quanset" out of a piece of aluminum flashing material. I drape it over the skulls to hold the heat in. They whiten within an hour.

hoytarcher likes this.
  5. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    thanks everyone