1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antelope Help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BudHalf, Oct 23, 2020.

1. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

I am doing my first antelope and I have three of them to do. When I caped them I just did a "Y" incision like I would on a white tail. Now I have a dilema. If I do the eyes first I have to put the skull on and won't be able to get the cape on. Should I put the skull plate on and do the clay work and cut the cape all the way down the back, or should I just put the cape on pull the face down and do the clay work. I have test fit the capes and they all fit great. I didn't really want to have to do all the sewing but it seems like it would make the clay work a lot easier.

Thanks

Bud

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I lay a pcs of clear wrap on top of head as a release , do all my skull work and eye socket work with apoxeysculpt, a day ahead of mounting , let it get hard , pop it off then pull cape over then screw horns back down, put my eyes in and mount .

Robert Baker likes this.

3. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

That makes sense. I knew there had to be a simple answer. Thanks

Do you put the wrap over the eye socket as well and peel off the eye work too? (top and bottom)

Robert Baker likes this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That may work for 13 point but I almost always catch something that needs adjusted a day or two after mounting. Hard to do with apoxie. Just open it up all the way, it is only a little more sewing and the main hides most of the seam.

5. 13 point

I do eye sockets and skull work with apoxeysculpt at the same time, so yes I put clear wrap on top of the whole form , I do eye themselves with clay just after ipull cape over and after I screw skull back down

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

So, your saying you set the eye with Apoxie Sculpt and do the eye lids with clay? Is that correct?

7. 13 point

We all know you use part of the eye socket with the skull as only part of the eye socket is on the form, what I’m saying is I will put a pcs of clear wrap on top of form, I screw skull onto form , I then use apoxeysculpt to form the complete eye orbit ( socket) blending the skull to match what the form already has making sure my eye will fit in socket . And also build the skull back at this time blending back to form . So at this time all my head work is done but the eye are not in . I let that all harden then I unscrew and pop it all off . I remove clear wrap, I then pull cape over form , I screw the whole molded skull back on . Only thing left to do is put my eye in and build and shape my upper and lower lids and I use critter clay for that and is soft to tuck my eye skin when I get to that point . That’s the best way I can explain it , hope u understand.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Got it. Makes perfect sense. It's been so long since I did one, I forgot that the upper eye socket is not molded into the form.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I cut the head off the mannikin slanting from each side so it will go back on exactly as it came off. Prior to doing this, I drill a 1/2" hole from the forehead about 12 inches down into the neck. Slip your cape on the mannikin, place bondo in hole in mannikin, bondo the head back on, then apply bondo to a 1/2" dowel and drive it down into the mannikin in the pre-drilled hole. Saw the excess dowel off flush with the forehead. It ain't goin' anywhere, and you can easily slip the facial area back onto your form. This allows a short Y, plus you can do all your prep work on the head prior to sawing it off without fear of messing up you sculpting work.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I'd rather just sew for 15minutes than go through all that work.

3bears likes this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Now that makes sense to me, I was under the impression that you did all of the eye work with apoxie sculpt and let harden.

12. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Dr Dan McBride did a seminar at the Texas Convention a couple of years ago on doing pronghorn and he did all the setting of the horns and head work on form, then cut off the head to slip the short Y cape on, replaced the head and finished it up. He made it look really simple and he did a great mount. Not sure I could do it as simply as he did, though - I’ve yet to get the nerve up to try it.

13. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

Well, I ended up splitting the cape and all ended well. Well, almost. I started a new thread with the latest problem. I didn’t make the jaw/cheek big enough.