1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removal Of Deceased Canine Teeth

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Sophie lonestar, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Sophie lonestar

Sophie lonestar New Member

Hey there!
    I have a dear friend who lost her dog yesterday and is getting the body from the vet today. I instructed her to put his body in the freezer untul we can get to it.
    My goal is to remove some teeth and then she want to burn his remains.
    I have experience with teeth removal in the past which generally is just chipping away at the jaw bone until it comes out.
    Does anyone have any tips for this project?? It would be a shame if i couldnt save any of his teeth for her.
    Thanks!

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

sorry but this sounds very dumb. I would not want to save the teeth of my dog nor would i want to mutilate my dogs remains to remove them.

ARUsher likes this.

3. Sophie lonestar

Well, everyone copes differently with death and honestly your personal views on that is irrelevant. It is my friends dog that passed away yesterday. I have preserved bodies and bones before but have not extracted teeth from a fresh body yet. Iam looking for some tips on soaking the jaw or dealing with it as ethically as I can so she can move on.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Your friend can not just set fire to her dogs body and burn it. It will have to be sent out to be cremated. Ask the vet to remove a canine tooth before it is sent out. You may be able to deliver it to a crematory yourself but you will have to ask the local vet what facility they use. You may be able to ask the folks at the crematory to remove a tooth for you. If they can't, you will have to use a saw to cut open the bone over the tooth to remove it. You probably will not be able to just pull out a tooth unless it was a very old dog with seriously eroded tooth sockets.

5. Sophie lonestar

Thank you for your info, its very appriciated. The cremation of the dog is going to take place professionally, she asked them about teeth being pulled and they wouldnt do it. She currently has the body in a freezer awaiting the time it can be processed.
    Do you really feel like chipping away at the bone is better then soaking the jaw? I was going to defrost the body and remove the bottom jaw, soak it and then extract.

6. Sea Wolf

I did not assume that you were going to be cutting parts off of it. If you are cutting off the lower jaw, macerate it in warm water for a week and most of the teeth will come right out.

7. Sophie lonestar

Yeh awesome, thats kinda what i was thinking. Do you have any opinions about putting say white vinegar or dish soap in the water as well?

8. Sea Wolf

I have done several tutorials aimed at one off maceration projects. Search in the archives for those and read. Water only. Adding anything will screw up the process or prevent it from working entirely.