1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel Tails

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Swrapunz, Oct 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Swrapunz

Swrapunz New Member

Good morning! I went squirrel hunting the other day and I have a few tails that I'd like to keep and I would like to keep the bone in. My question is can I preserve them the same way as rabbit feet? I found a process with 70% isopropyl alcohol and borax that I want to try on rabbit feet. Will it work on the tails too? Thank you!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Any time you leave bone in your also leaving in meat. it’s not recommended to do this as it’s an attractant to bugs.
    You can try anything you like but remember what’s said.

Johnnyclyde likes this.

3. Swrapunz

Swrapunz New Member

So why does the isopropyl and borax work for rabbit feet if it wouldn't work for tails?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Because a rabbit's foot has no meat in it. What you're seeing is the actual foot (not the leg). A rabbit's foot is simply sinew, bone and skin, much the same as a deer foot or a bird foot would be.

Johnnyclyde likes this.
  5. Swrapunz

Swrapunz New Member

That makes sense, thank you George. I've seen you on here quite a bit, do you know of any way to preserve the tail with the bone in?

6. Tracy Carroll

Tracy Carroll New Member

Le
    leaving the meat in, might create issues. think about that..

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My first thought is to wonder why leaving the tail in is such an issue. Shaving a twig down and inserting it into the skin would achieve the same result with better longterm results. I bought artificial tails from John David Ellen when I did them. The soft foam covered fine wire allows for posing and grooming.
    If you are insistent, you'll still need to pull the tail. Put the skin in a container of methanol or denatured alcohol. Inject the tail bone/meat with the same liquid but when injected, hang it out an let dry for a few days. Take it down, remove the skin from the soak and reinsert the tail. Blow dry the tail and mist with a "heavy hold" hairspray. It will likely last until the dust bunnies eat it or you get tired of it.

8. Swrapunz

Swrapunz New Member

Ok, thank you very much for your input. I'm pretty sure I've ruined the ones I have but I'll definitely do it right with the next ones :)

Tracy Carroll likes this.