1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Soft Mount Hybrids

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Odds&Unevens, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Odds&Unevens

Odds&Unevens New Member

Hello, I have seen these hybrids where the skull of that same animal or a different one is mounted as the face of the animal's pelt.

I don't know how these artists have done this, like glue (What brand and type) or other tools like screws.

I also want to work on previously processed furs for full soft mounts but the ears are stiff shriveled in odd ways, how does one rehydrate them or get them loose again to make them normal?

This is an example of one that was made by Brittany Macabre

Attached Files:

Revlis likes this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You need to get Taxidermy DVDs from suppliers and learn taxidermy first. then go from there.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What you are showing isn't taxidermy. It's just sticking things together to make an art project. Gorilla glue works well with most materials. The cheap, processed furs you can buy are more than likely garment tanned furs and "wallhangers". They are cheap because they have not been properly prepared for taxidermy. To get proper ears, the hide has to be prepared for taxidermy before tanning. You can take the shriveled ears on those tanned hides, soften them with water and flatten them out, then pin them into position with formed cardboard but they will eventually crinkle up again.

If you want to make good and natural looking faces, you will have to spend the money to buy a properly prepared hide for taxidermy or buy raw skins and prepare them yourself. Look for terms like "ears split" "ears done" "lips split/done" "eyelids split/turned/done" etc when looking for a properly prepared hide.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Revlis, J.N.L and Robert Baker like this.