1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antelope: Eyes Too Big/cheek Too Small

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BudHalf, Oct 27, 2020.

1. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

I just mounted my first antelope. Was pretty happy with it until I looked at it from head on. The “padding” around the eye looks way too thick. I thought if pressing out the clay below it but it is down to the form. I did put some clay on the cheek/gland but apparently not enough. I think the problem is that the form is just to narrow in the face and I didn’t build it up enough. The cape is sewn and the hay is in the barn. Any options? I thought about maybe an injectable clay or silicon, but if it went bad it would go real bad. Any ideas??? Thanks

Bud.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Pictures would help.

3. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

Let me see if I can figure out how to post them.

4. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

E6A4F888-5AF3-492A-8F96-20893A14749B.jpeg

5. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

I think I also need to try to pull the corners of the eyes in a little. I think when I sewed my incision up it got a little tight.

6. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

E28F7C66-4252-4041-915B-5D0D91FAEC2B.jpeg

7. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

FC60103A-F8C4-4377-9B2F-E3AD13AF5DE3.jpeg

8. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

Cleaned up the eye a little in this one.

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Did you add clay to the form under the eye? Most forms are good enough in that area you just need to blend the glass eye in at the socket . If you added clay lower then that , then that’s your problem. I dont think it looks narrow, I believe if you bag and retuck then groom for fullness you will be fine . If anything I think I’d in tuck eye and dig the clay out from cheek and retuck eye . And go with what I said above .

10. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

Thanks. I’ll give it a whirl.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'd bag it and study as much good reference as I could. Slide those ears towards the horns and down and rotate them where they belong and then rework the eyes. This will give you more skin to work with to get the proper shape and anatomical features. Breakthrough issue 105 has some pretty good reference pics but so does the web.

Westcoast and 13 point like this.
  12. BudHalf

BudHalf New Member

That makes sense. Thanks.