1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapping Mammal Bodies

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by PessimisticSharkie, Oct 28, 2020.

1. PessimisticSharkie

PessimisticSharkie New Member

I can;t seem to find any tutorials on wrapping mammals. The only one I could find was from 2009 and all of the images were broken ):

Should I case skin or dorsal skin them? Do I save the carcasses for reference? Do I need dowels to mimic bones? Any tips would be very much appreciated! I plan to wrap a fox, cat, and muskrat. Not too worried about the muskrat.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You’ll need wire of all different sizes for strength and used as spinal column, and legs.
    You save the body cause that’s what you have to wrap.
    Cut the legs off at the ball joints. Then you’ll wrap the body from the neck joint to the tail. Then the legs get wrapped and wired into the body
    The head can be carved from foam and attached to the neck with wire.

3. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Google joekulis.com click on Taxidermy training scroll down near the bottom and look at their small mammal video by Jerome benemme it is all about hand wrapping this guy is one of the best in the world

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Find the book from northwestern school of taxidermy
    They show it well
    It’s where I got my start
    My course was in 1972 and a a
    Diploma in 1973
    The old timey way
    I even wrapped a deer head neck with original skull and lots of clay on a 2x4 for support
    But a foam manikin way cheaper

5. I purchased few years back the 2 videos from Kastaway featuring Jerome Bennema. Best videos ever, money well spent. He will even show you how to wrap an excelsior body if you just have the skin. I saw that he even has a DVD on wrapping a cat sitting.
    Now wrapping a fox is a big challenge if you never wrapped anything before.....
    Another great but older video is a DVD ( was a VHS before) from Tab Hinton. Wrapping a squirrel. From second nature taxidermy. Video #
    • SKU: 89-DVD160
    He does not use the bones but keep the skull. Straight wire and excelsior.