1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bucket Heater

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hoytarcher, Oct 28, 2020.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    Anyone using one of those bucket heaters? Not the aquarium heater but the blanket or band that wraps around the bucket. I see you can adjust the temps from 80-160 degrees. That seems pretty dang nice to just set the temp on the wrap and walk away. Just didnt know if anyone had any expierence with them.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you search the archives, I think in this forum, there are a couple of posts about them. The reviews seemed to be good and the poster found some that weren't hundreds of dollars. Haven't bit the bullet and tried one yet but I have thought about it. And they come in sizes for 55 gallon drums too. I think they are actually called barrel heaters.

3. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    Sea Wolf, is 180 degrees way to much? I see alot saying in the 120's but is 180 going to cause any damage?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yes. Long exposure at 180 will cause the bones to visibly degrade. Think of an overcooked soup bone. 120 is the highest you need and that is only for deer and sheep. Almost everything else will degrease just fine at 115 degrees with no damage to the bone. If you are going to try one, don't rely on the thermostat attached to the unit. Monitor the actual temp inside the container and I would also use a small circulating pump to make sure the temp is even all over inside. 180 is much too hot. 200 is boiling.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

a 60w light bulb in a coffee can works good too.... just need metal or alum bucket