1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"soft Tanning" A Bird Skin

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by OHDave, Oct 29, 2020.

1. OHDave

OHDave Member

Does anyone know if you can soft tan a bird skin to make it more flexible? A licensed raptor rehabber I know wants some kind of owl puppet made to help in feeding owl chicks without imprinting. I work for a museum and have a frozen owl available to use. I imagine it would still need to be reinforced in some way with fabric or something, but is it even possible to keep a preserved bird skin flexible? Thanks.

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. I would have your friend contact the Peregrine fund, as they hand raise raptors with puppets,they could inform you who makes them,the main issue is natural feathered puppet could pass on any diseases.hope this helps you.

Robert Baker likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

No real feathers needed. In addition they will get bloody and near impossible to keep clean. Raptor feeding puppets are simple models. They do not need feather details. Where do they live that they have owl chicks this time of year?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Westcoast likes this.
  4. OHDave

OHDave Member

Thanks! They don't have any chicks right now -- just planning ahead.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Liqua -Cure by Knobloch's is supposed to do that. I have no experience with it, however, the manufacturer and some people on here claim that it does keep it somewhat pliable.