1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead Mount Wing Wires

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Oct 30, 2020.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

is it necessary to run wing wires on dead mounts, if so how do you get the bend right??

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Yep you need them. It’s no different then a flying wing set up but I use slightly lighter wires.

BrookeSFD16, AFTHUNT and joeym like this.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

The wire size will depend on the size of the bird. Install the wire the same as you do for a flying bird. I'm not sure what you mean by "the bend right"? It's the same way you get the bend right when doing any other position. With the wire installed bend/pose the wing til it's in the correct position. Reference works for a dead mount also

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  4. allison1952

allison1952 Member

5. allison1952

allison1952 Member

thank you

6. allison1952

allison1952 Member

thank you

7. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Kinda funny , I have clients ask all the time ... Since its just a dead mount isn't it cheaper because it's less work ? ..... Less Work .. ? Na , I wish but it's not any less work maybe less time for me because I've done a lot of them , its no different than a flying mount , have to do all the same process for a dead mount as any bird ... I don't wire the entire wing unless it's broke badly ... That's about the only shortcut , I use lighter wire most of the time , so I can get the right bend in the head for a dead hanging bird ... Refrence helps but I rarely use any ...