1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Backpack Elk Mount Need Advice

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by primmg, Oct 31, 2020.

1. primmg

primmg New Member

Just had a call requesting a back pack elk mount, I've seen these on deer, I'm sure elk is not much different, I have never done one of these before, is there any advice or input from anyone that could give me any ideas on price and what steps I need to take to accomplish this. I have mounted several elk just not one of these. Do I just use a change out head and roll some or all of the tanned hide up behind it? I think it would be neat to do but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew (time wise mainly) am I over thinking this? Where do I get the backpack frame or is it something I will have to make, any pictures would be awesome.Thanks

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Mount it upside down, talk client into it , that way it can stand in its own kinda thing . If you mount it upwards you will run into wall clearents problems . As you loose the price of the form you gain other cost , so as for price it’s as much as a shoulder mount at least plus the price of the pack board .

Keith likes this.
  4. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

13 point is correct. Almost all elk heads are packed out tines down. The elks chin should be right at the back of the packers head.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I make mine by lashing together 4 cedar limbs. I beef them up by attaching a piece of OSB centered on the top and bottom limb. This gives a secure area to attach the head. You can use chang-out heads, or saw the head off an old elk mannikin if you have one. Never done an elk, but have done lots of deer. Thgis particular one was made from mimosa limbs. 385B0606-91D9-4605-8F7D-03722C19053E.jpeg 1D52B7CD-E5EC-4E83-A942-1767DF16B514.jpeg

Robert Baker and Westcoast like this.
  6. GP1419

GP1419 Active Member

Thanks for the help