1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Redoing A Dried Eye

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Been awhile since I have been on here. But, I had a chance to do a deer mount of my own, and I was in a rush. So, I thought it was drying good and thought I kept up with the babysitting of it, but I must have bunged up the claywork on the eye at some point because the eye is not right on one side now that it has dried fully. This is a tanned cape. Am I going to be able to rehydrate that eye and clay enough to redo it? Just wanting to see what others have done. Thanks,

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Just rehydrate and do what ever needs done. I turn the mount so that eye is up and lay wet towel or rag over the eye and then wrap a plastic bag over that so it won’t dry out. Takes a day or so. Once reworked it will dry pretty fast.

3bears, jessewild and msestak like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did what Jim said, only I used wet cotton balls and Saran Wrap to hold them in place.

msestak likes this.
  4. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks guys, my biggest concern is the clay. Will that re-hydrate also? I am assuming I will need to scrape away the bad area and re-clay.

5. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Yes clay will rehydrate

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Clay will re-hydrate as quickly if not quicker than the hide. I do pretty much the same as Jim and Tanglewood. I can usually rework the area after leaving it overnight.